Thursday, April 19, 2012

Risk Taking Toddlers!!! 10:30am Wonder Studio

Joyful Learning...
Every week I am adding more and more Wonder Studio favorite pictures!  A picture does say a thousand words!
This little guy is joyfully learning to master the Spray Bottle.  Unfortunately, I Often find myself (and other Adults) automatically Saving children from these types of little mistakes.  Sometimes I am afraid they might hurt themselves or maybe another?  But sometimes the best and most memorable learning comes from taking a Risk!


Some children have a natural tendency to be more of a risk taker and the more cautious children learn by observing those that take risks.  It's the most beautiful balance of nature.
I didn't quite understand it until I had 2 children of my own.  My first little one is very much the quiet observer, only feeling comfortable to take risks in private.  But very interested in those children around her who engage in "risky" behaviors.  
And my second little one is very much the risk taker, runs towards commotion, stands on the chair to reach the higher up (at 13 mos. old !).  It's been such fun to see the two of them together and how they influence one another.  
But that's also the beauty of a Classroom...  


Sometimes parents are worried because their child is observing TOO much...
Sometimes Parents are worried because their child flits around too quickly from one experience to the next and doesn't seem to settle in...


This is the joy of a classroom teacher (in my opinion)...


You get to observe and appreciate how these different dispositions of the children influence one another.


It's a delicate balance and one that we (big people) often get in the way of.
In my 9am class, a parent wondered if getting sprayed in the eyes with water and food coloring would hurt...I answered with a "Hmmmm...not sure but I think today we will find out!"  What do you know, we did...it didn't seem to hurt the little guy (not to say it wouldn't be painful for another child, since we all perceive these types of experiences differently).
Nature is such an odd thing...


Most roses I think are very similar...


Most leaves of an Oak tree look the same to me...


But People and especially children...we are so different in so many ways from one another...but also Alike too.  


How can it be?  
Did Nature make a beautiful OOps?  
I think not...
Having our children in a Place where they can be FREE to take risks or observe others taking a risk allows us all to learn something and maybe...
We can all be a little bit better than we were even a moment ago...
























No comments:

Post a Comment