Friday, April 13, 2012

Getting Ready for Kindergarten ...9am Wonder Studio

I spend a lot of time Getting ready for these little ones before they get to The Wonder Studio.  Sometimes 2 to 3 hours.  I admit, it's something I really enjoy!  Being able to think about each child and his/her needs as well as how certain experiences might bring children together in a social way.
In Reggio, these experiences are often called Provocations.  The educators there pay special attention to making arrangements irresistible for the children.  The idea being not just inviting the child to play...but to provoke Intense thought, deep reflection, and to facilitate Group learning.  The provocations intend to anticipate the children's needs as well as "nudge" them onward to new ways of thinking.
For example, the above experience with the SuperWorms...The sticks are a critical piece to invite those children in who might not feel comfortable touching the worms.  They can still manipulate the worms and reflect on the worms movement and eventually work towards actually feeling them.


Now the next step for me is:  How can I extend their learning?  What materials can be added to "Provoke" more emotion, more questions, and deeper investigation?  This is where the time part comes into play...


Would exploring the worms on a light table, or with the mirror be ways of "nudging" the children further?


Putting out markers, and paper and encouraging the children to draw the worms?


This is where the teachers in Reggio Emilia have it made....
They have a whole community that they use as resources...Parents weigh in on these reflections, and of course other teachers offer their advice.
The teachers often ask each other and themselves, WHY?  Why are we doing this, what is the meaning behind it?
How can we better Listen to the children?
Everyone in the city of Reggio Emilia believe it is part of their duty as a member of the city to facilitate the children's learning.
I do believe it's my job to Get Ready for your children.


I don't understand the thinking here in Florida (as well as many other states) that the opposite should happen.


When did Kindergarten become a place that children needed to Get Ready for?


I believe my education (Go Gators!) and my degree prepared me enough to be Ready for any child that comes through my doors!
If I need assistance or some type of extra support, I know I have it through the professionals and parents around me.
We are all learning  All the Time!
If I was a Kindergarten teacher...I would not want children who know all their ABC's, I can teach that in a matter of weeks...I would not want children who can do worksheets...I would not want children who can sit still!
I would want children who are able to think...Listen to other children (and me from time to time), be able to manipulate small objects, be kind to others (and animals), and most importantly...have the ability to PLAY and Imagine!
All the other stuff will come...in Time...what's the hurry?

Childhood is not about Getting Ready for something else...they come to us Ready...We need to Get Ready for them!!
               
                






































1 comment:

  1. Well kindergarten is very important for kids education and I like to prefer them

    Kids education

    ReplyDelete