Thursday, April 5, 2012

Blessings of a Skinned Knee 9am Class

I can't remember the exact quote...it was from Blessings of a Skinned Knee by Wendy Mogel...
Something about if your not enjoying Parenting about 90% of the time, you're doing something wrong.  That has stuck with me these past 4 years in raising my two little ones.  Some days I have to admit, I only enjoyed parenting that day maybe 10% and it was 90% not enjoy (to put it numerically somehow doesn't make that statement seem as sad! ;)
But...Many, Many days it has fallen the other way...I guess that's how parenting is...Up and down, up and down...
I love reading about IDEAL parenting and teaching strategies...and of course, I also love to blog about my observations in class and about those everyday parenting struggles.
But Parenting (as teaching is) is never IDEAL, you can never always make the right decision, the right choice.  There are always extenuating circumstances...We can simply do the best we can at that moment, possibly reflect on it later, as we lay awake at 2am...and maybe make a different choice the next day.
Compassion is something I can try and offer to my fellow human beings (Big and Little ones) everyday...What does it mean to be compassionate?
Not Patient...I don't like that word, it indicates that we are putting up with something Unpleasant...I hear it often from people when they learn what I do for a living..."Oh You must be very patient to be a teacher of young children."
I do like the word, Understanding.  Things usually go better in my day when I am Understanding to those around me.  Treating my children as well as my husband, the way I want to be treated.  Understanding that my child is not me and not a reflection on me.  So she (and he) will make mistakes, test boundaries, do really weird and bizarre things that I cannot always relate to.
What I learned from the book, Blessings of a Skinned Knee, is that allowing my children to make those mistakes, offering compassion, but being careful not to Swoop in and save the day, allowing the hurt, the pain, and the tears will ultimately be a blessing for my child.  Being careful not to Judge my child (as well as other children), being careful not to judge other parents, and most of all, Not holding myself in Judgement.  This is the Key to enjoying parenting 90%.
I will continue to advocate for The Wonder Studio being a Judgement Free Place.  A place where the children will not feel judged for their choices and where the adults will learn to do the same!!!
The Wonder Studio will be a place where we can all ask questions, try out some different techniques and strategies with our fellow Man, Make mistakes, and this is the really secret part...sshhh, don't tell anyone I said this...!!


We don't even have to learn from our mistakes...at least...not right away...we can simply just work towards Understanding.






























No comments:

Post a Comment