Saturday, September 18, 2010

10:30 Wonder Science: Popcorn!!

I love to see the little ones getting into the fun!!!!!
Many of you have probably heard me say this many times... but gosh I have the best job in the world!!!! I love, love, love my Wonder Studio!! Getting to see these guys, who had only participated in the arts class previously, to see them get to experience the science class. Wow, so much fun! You could see and feel the excitement in both of them as they explored all the different experiences. I can't wait to continue the explorations together with them and also see how it changes their approach to the arts class experiences as well. It will be very interesting!















This was such a fun snack and now I am thinking of all kinds of extensions and different things the children could add to the popcorn. So we may need to do this again. I was thinking it would be fun to add some cinnamon sugar, seasoned salt, etc... What ideas do you have?????







It was really wonderful to watch the interaction that the boys had together with the water table in today's class. They mostly worked side by side but all were carefully observing one another. Every child has such unique ideas on how they want to work with the tubing and funnels. I loved with J. had the idea to pull the tube up and watch the water come shooting up. Of course, I never would have thought of it... Thank goodness we are able to take the time to listen and hear what these children need to explore!




As he stuck his finger in the tube, he learns about water pressure, water flow, as well as, cooperation from the other children who were filling up the funnel. Of course, it's all in the name of fun!!!
Tonight my daughter spent almost an hour at her water table. While my husband and I watched without interference or narration, we saw her wet the concrete steps with a spoon, use the spoon to spread the water on the step, then dump the bucket of water on the steps, then jump, twirl, and dance on the steps. Then she refilled her bucket with water using a scoop and started the whole process over again. When I asked her why she used the spoon to spread the water, she stated that she had to do that so that the wind wouldn't make the water float away.

Now I ask you: Would that time have been better used if she had been watching a video that teaches her letters and numbers? Should I have been doing flash cards with her?

I'm proud to say that my daughter doesn't know all of her letters or numbers. She's much too busy learning about cause and effect, practicing her fine motor skills, and gross motor skills. Asking questions (that I don't provide answers for...) and making her own theories about evaporation.

I couldn't be prouder!

The Art of Awareness by Deb Curtis and Margie Carter is a lovely book (it's a teaching book...) but even the title itself can teach us all to learn about observation and listening to our children.

I would love to hear your stories of observation with your children. I'm looking for moments that are totally child-initiated and with little adult intervention. Let's celebrate childhood together!!

No comments:

Post a Comment