Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Power of Observation...Wonder Arts: 2.12.13

How do we know what young children need?
 Watch them...observe them...listen to what they say...
 You can easily miss opportunities if you're not careful.
 In getting my degree at UF ... that is probably the most important skill I was taught.
How to observe.
 Observation is about letting go of your own needs, letting go of any judgement you may hold inside.
And solely concentrating on what is happening before your very eyes.
True observation occurs when you DO NOT intervene.
 I know easier said than done.

 It's actually one of the hardest and most important things I do as a teacher.
I usually do it with a camera in my hand...
 And it's the one thing that I always think I can do better.
 In observing children, you end up learning about children.
 You will begin to see and hear what is important to them.

Then you begin to understand what they need.

 I wonder how classes could evolve if we all spent a little more time observing??
 Ok...I think we're on to something here...

To be continued!!







































No comments:

Post a Comment