Saturday, February 2, 2013

An empty box...Wonder Arts 1.29

There's a lot of folks out there who think of children as empty vessels to fill.
Sponges that simply soak up what they are immersed in.

Is a child a whole person?

Do children have their own ideas?

Are they capable of learning without us ever telling them?
Then, there are folks like me, who believe a child can learn from an empty box.

As a matter of fact, I believe they learn more from an empty box than from a worksheet, a TV show, a set of flashcards...
It does take a lot of trust in your child to think this way.  

You must take a lot on faith... that they will learn.
Now, if you know me, I don't just give my children (or my students) empty boxes to play with.  
However...Maybe... if I really think about it, that's exactly what I spend hours preparing for your little ones.

Empty boxes.
To the average eye, it might seem like more.

Paint, paper, tools, brushes, oil pastels.
But... as a box invites a child into a world of open possibilities...

so do these Art materials.
Colors that invite the child in...A paintbrush that might catch her eye.

An empty canvas that can become uniquely something new.
An experience that can be personal.
An experience that can be shared.

I believe that children work hard to fill these "boxes", we don't need to do it for them.

You can join your child in her journey.  You can even begin to see these "empty boxes" yourself and find joy in filling them.

Life is like a box...

"You never know what you're gonna get!"






























































No comments:

Post a Comment