Monday, September 10, 2012

Relationships...10:30 Wonder Arts

Getting to Know You,
Getting to Know all about You.
Getting to like you,
getting to hope you like me.



Getting to know you,
Getting to feel free and easy
when I am with you.
Getting to know what to say.


Haven't you noticed
Suddenly I'm bright and breezy?
Because of all the beautiful and new
Things I'm learning about you
Day by day.


Thank You to The King and I for so brilliantly describing (and in song too;) how I feel at the start of my classes.

The beginning of a new class is always a little disconcerting for me. I still feel nervous and just as the song states, "Getting to hope you like me".  


Every session we begin anew.  I find that even with those students I had the previous session...they have changed...I have changed...the classroom has changed.
I think we all underestimate how much and how quickly we expect our children (and ourselves) to adapt to new environments and new situations.  

My goal for each new group is to begin to form relationships. Not just with the child but the big person they bring with them.  I believe that a high quality education is personal.  It's unique to the individual and even more complex, education is also unique to the group.


It takes time, attention, and lots of listening.  I want to learn about your child..I want to observe her interactions with the other children.  I want to observe his interactions with you.  These relationships help me to understand how your child will learn best.
I take many pictures, not just to show how cute these guys are.  (Let's face it...they are ADORABLE!)...but I take the pictures to serve as a memory.  I look through the blog many times.  I try to live again our experience and see where to go next time.
Your children are the curriculum.  I generally know what materials I wish to use and introduce.  But I am guided not by a book... but instead I am guided by these faces.






























No comments:

Post a Comment