Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Mysterious Journey: Wonder Arts

Probably the hippo's first experience with real Potter's clay...
When I look at him, it seems to me to be a face of excitement and enjoyment.
But...perhaps your perception is that he is uncomfortable or upset.
How do these types of observations and perceptions affect our children in how they approach something new?
We are instinctual beings and designed by nature to be so.  Our ability to make quick decisions and judgments are meant for our survival.  
So, it does go against our very nature to not judge.  
My Arts classes do at times tend to make both the little and big ones feel unsure.  Maybe even uncomfortable.

Do I want to get paint on my hand?
Will it wash off?
What happens when I squeeze this clay?
What happens when she squeezes the clay?
It feels like something new but it's almost familiar.
Many parents perceive a child's washing hands time after time to mean that he or she is uncomfortable with the paint. Sometimes, the adult interprets this repetitive hand washing to be somewhat of a failure of the class.
But, I really believe, to the child...it's not an act of failure.  It's an act of Magic...it's an act on faith.

I see blue on my hand but then it disappears... Wait, I can almost see it for a moment floating in the water.  Then it's gone.  Where did it go?  Can I make it happen again?

A child will work endlessly to figure out this mystery.  
If you stick around the water buckets in my room...Your perception might change.
If you can let go of your judgments...If you can let go of what you want your child to learn...You will see what she already is learning.
There in lies the purpose of this blog...to invite you in to what your child might have seen during class.  To allow you to see again what you may have missed the first time.
I wonder...Will you see it too?
















































No comments:

Post a Comment