Thursday, February 23, 2012

Simply Being Me: 9am Wonder Studio


Who Am I?

I believe strongly in helping children develop strong Intrapersonal Awareness.  Howard Gardner, in his theory of Multiple Intelligences, explains Intrapersonal intelligence as such:

"Intrapersonal intelligence entails the capacity to understand oneself, to appreciate one's feelings, fears and motivations. 
In Howard Gardner's view it involves having an effective working model of ourselves, and to be able to use such information to regulate our lives."

Who Am I?

Who is me?

What makes it possible for me to be?

Am I sweet?  Am I kind?

Do I always have to mind?

Sometimes I cry, I feel sad...

Sometimes I cry, I feel glad...

What does it mean

These thoughts in my head?

It's all OK!, my Mama said.

I always wonder...

I want to understand...

Who Am I?

Who is me?

Is it fine to simply be?


I love this gift of being able to communicate to children that it is ok to simply be.  Children are not here to please us, perform for our friends, or earn the right to be loved.  
The challenge is finding ways to balance this communication with the daily struggles of parenting.


How can we take delight in our children, help them to accept themselves, and do all this by being authentic?


I don't know...
But I know it starts with:


Time


Letting go of our judgement


experience


Making mistakes


Reflection


and of course...


unconditional LOVE!!

As I look through these photographs, I am pleased to see faces of children simply being themselves.  I can tell because not a one of them is posing for the camera!!!  







































No comments:

Post a Comment