Wednesday, March 3, 2010

9am Arts Class: Colored Glue on Wax paper, Watercolor with Q-Tips, Clay, Painting at Wall, Sculpture with Recyled Materials

My teaching practice is in a state of constant reflection. Taking pictures during class and then posting them onto this blog offers me a chance to revisit the class from a new perspective.
  1. Did things go the direction I expected?
  2. Did an unexpected outcome lead to a constructive experience for the children and adults?
  3. Did I respond appropriately to the children/adults?
  4. Did the experiences offered to the children provoke deep interest and wonderment by the children/adults?
  5. How could my response to the children/adults have been more or less provoking?
  6. How do I encourage the adults in class to stay present and in the moment with his/her child and the other children?
  7. Is my program reflective of my philosophy and beliefs about young children?
  8. How can I further emphasize my philosophy to the adults in class?
  9. How can I help the adults to embrace this philosophy?
And then some practical considerations:
  1. Are the materials offered in class being taken care of properly by myself and the students?
  2. Is the length of clean-up time after class acceptable?
  3. How much time should I or the students be expected to spend on clean-up?
  4. Clean up is very much on the minds of everyone (except the children), why?
  5. How can I build "clean-up" time into my program but not let it take over my program?
  6. Will a stronger emphasis on "clean-up" time cause the adults in the class to put more restrictions on their child's explorations?
  7. How can I instill a sense of free exploration for the children but also encourage attention to detail, an appreciation for their environment, and taking time to prepare their workspace for the next child who may work there?
I believe it's important to ask ourselves reflective questions and to think about them deeply. I am going to spend a few weeks thinking about these questions and I hope you will do the same! If you have particular thoughts or questions of your own, please post them here or email me at: tot.wonder.arts@gmail.com






















No comments:

Post a Comment