Tuesday, March 23, 2010

10:30 Wonder Arts: Oil Pastels, Finger Painting, Clay

Welcome to the new Wonder Studio Students!!!
The above picture is a classic indicator of a new student! I should probably just warn new parents in advance that their child may spend the first few classes doing just this, opening the cubbies, playing in the sinks, sitting in and out of the chairs. So many new things to explore, why would I want to sit down and play with "crayons"?
Sometimes I think new parents must think I'm crazy when I say, "Oh, look at your child playing in the sink! This is wonderful!" But, I really, really do believe it's wonderful!
My goal in these classes is not only to offer high quality art mediums for children to delight and wonder with, but also for you, the parent, to see the "learning" that is happening for your child in every moment!
I am a mom too, so I understand how difficult it is when we think our children are not doing what they supposed to be doing. But, is it possible, that they are doing what they should be doing? Of course, I'm not indicating we let them do anything dangerous to themselves or others! There is a remarkable difference between destructive behaviors and constructive behaviors, for sure!
It all begins with Listening!
How can we better listen to our children?
How can we hear what they are telling us?
How do we let go of our fear of the unknown?
It may not seem so, but I often find myself fearful of where a classroom experience might lead the children, or might not lead the children. In those times, I am usually quieter, and I have the nice ability to hide behind the camera, and of course the emotional distance, since I am not the Mom in these classes.
I notice, though, when I am open to the children's investigations, whether it is playing in the sink, or finger painting, I am always in awe of their discoveries, and never, never disappointed!



It was lovely to see the growth in all of the children's drawings from 8 weeks ago, or for some of them even longer! My hope is that the parents are beginning to see the importance of these scribbles and are noticing a change in their child's approach. Some of the older children are right on the cusp of transitioning to representational drawing. This is a bittersweet time for me as a teacher and I'm sure you as a parent! Many times, during the transition, children will say, "I can't draw!" "You draw!" It's so critical that we say "Yes, you can draw!" You will set the tone for many years if you draw for your child. Going through a period of frustration is normal and they will crossover if you just keep offering that encouragement! The story, The Dot, is a great book to read to your child when and if they get to this point.
When I taught 4 year olds, I would often encourage children to scribble and I wanted them to feel how wonderful it feels to do this. It takes off so much pressure to realize that art is for you! Not anyone else! Seeing the beauty in scribbles and lines, and shapes is your important job, as the parent of a toddler! Take it seriously!





















What can a toddler learn at the sink?
Sharing
Taking turns
Understanding flow of water
On, off, on, off, etc...
Where do bubbles come from?
Why do they disappear?
How does this water make my hand feel?
Can I pick up the water?
What shape does the water take?
Endless, endless possibilities for learning!
Seeing the children's natural interest in water at the sink and in the tubs is what generated my thoughts on beginning the science class, where many of the children devote much of their time investigating these questions!













Nothing without Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment