Friday, February 2, 2018

You belong here.

"We believe growth and learning are uncomfortable. So, it's going to happen here - you're going to feel that way. We want you to know that it's normal and it's an expectation here. You're not alone and we ask you to stay open and lean into it." 
Brene Brown
Recently, I tried out a Salsa class.
This has been on my to do list for a very LONG time.

Dancing has always been a bit of challenge for me.
Image result for elaine dance gif

One of my good friends teaches at this particular venue for Salsa lessons, so I was feeling pretty good and maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't feel too awkward.  
First, I walked up the wrong entrance and just peered in the windows at folks dancing, trying to open a locked door. Ok...awkwardness is definitely setting in. I quickly, walked around the building to enter on the other side. By this time, I am cursing myself for even thinking I should take a dance class by myself. I am starting to feel high anxiety and wanting to just run away.

However, the next door I tried to open was not locked. :( 
I entered the space and paid the attendant. I gave him my friend's name and asked if she was there. Of course, he had no idea who I was talking about. 
More awkwardness....Where is she?
Yikes...big mistake...I can't do this. Starting to physically sweat as I see people on a dance floor all lined up. 
"The Story I made up" (internal monologue of Brene Brown) was that they were all terrific dancers and I was not supposed to be there.
I stood on the sidelines and I watched. Slowly taking one or two steps towards the dancers until I just stopped. I just could not will myself to enter the dance.
It was the most vulnerable position I have put myself into for a while. 
As, I stood there awkwardly watching the group...a woman turned slightly towards me, smiled at me, and motioned for me to come and stand next to her.

Immediately, I calmed down and ran up and stood next to her in the line of women across from a line of men. She and the other woman next to me showed me how to move my feet as they were doing. They slowed their steps and counted and waited for me to catch up. As, I followed their movements, I gained just a shred of confidence to feel as though maybe I could do this. 
The small kindness that woman showed me when she smiled at me, made all the difference. 
Of course, it made me think about the children who come into Wonder Studio each week but especially the first weeks of classes. 
Often, we adults think that it should be easy for a child to walk into a new environment and immediately know what to do.
Often, the child will cling to Mom's leg or ask to be held by their nanny. The caregiver is usually surprised at the child's hesitance. But, I am not.
The bravery it takes to try something new is not lost on me.
I believe that children are the bravest folks on our planet. Everything they are doing is often for the first time. Their reactions to vulnerability are uncensored. 
However, the difference between me at Salsa class and your child at their first Wonder Studio class is the Caregiver.

The caregiver has the opportunity to be that woman smiling and motioning and saying "You do belong here." 
The caregiver can break down the steps for the child and is patient while the child struggles to learn them.
Understanding and acceptance of fumbles and missteps means EVERYTHING to the child.
I think that most people say they  want to be a life-long learner. They want their children to be life-long learners. 
What does that really mean?


To be a learner...is to be vulnerable.
To begin to feel some confidence and some level of comfort, takes time. It doesn't happen right away. If I was taking Salsa lessons at home from a YouTube video, I wouldn't have felt as awkward as I did. But, I would have missed the opportunity to be part of a group. To learn from my fellow women...to feel connected to others who are learning (as I quickly discovered, mostly everyone there was also a beginner).
I was changed by the group. I was inspired.
Loris Malaguzzi of Reggio Emilia, Italy...said it best:
"To be part of a group, is a great privilege." 
Welcome to Wonder Studio. I am so happy you are part of our community. You belong here.











































No comments:

Post a Comment