Thursday, April 13, 2017

The Track To Creativity


 How do we inspire our children’s creativity to come alive?


There is such a strong tendency in the human condition to conform.
And, really, following the pack has led to our success as a species. Don’t you think?


But, I also believe for some, the ability to Stand Out, has contributed greatly to our success as a species.
There are people who find great comfort in Routine, Consistency, and the Status Quo.

But, there are always folks who resist routine. They resist consistency and the status quo.

 Every teacher struggles with these group dynamics.
 Every parent struggles with the child who continues to resist.
 Every generation struggles to evolve and distinguish itself from its predecessors. 
 But as logical folks, we understand the need for creativity. 
The act of Creation itself is the oldest belief system on our Earth.
 I am not sure if I am a creative person or not.
But, I do know that I am attracted to creative acts. I am attracted to those that Stand out and I find inspiration through NEW experiences.
 For 8 years, I have been singing the Choo Choo song.
 Choo Choo Choo Choo
Going Down the Track.
Choo Choo Choo Choo  
Then I come right back.
 Yes, it’s one of the kid’s favorite songs. But, to be honest…as of recently…it drives me crazy.
I feel as though I am ready to jump off the track and NOT come right back.
 So, it was interesting to me that this session, a few of my students began “Creating” new approaches to this “old” song.
Perhaps, the indications were there in past years but maybe I missed them. In my view that there was ONE way to perform this song, I was not OPEN to new interpretations.
 So, maybe in my growing disdain of this song, I began to be more receptive to the children suggesting new ways.
 First, I had a little girl who began using her leg and foot to represent the Arm and Hand for the Choo Choo Song.
Cool. I thought.
 Then, I had a little boy who INSISTED that the train be a “SUPER-LINER” and that we should really move the train along our arm in a very very fast way.
This continued for a couple weeks with all of us, adults and children embracing this new idea.
 Then last week, a little girl (in the same Super-Liner rendition) said, she felt we needed to do the Choo Choo song with a Jet pack and a new movement. I asked her how?
She showed us her “Moon” (which previously had been fingers representing the actual Train) and it sort of floated around the track…it looked like a representation of the moon orbiting the Earth.
 Ok…Now, something is happening. From our old and boring (in my opinion) and repetitive version of the song…we are seeing an evolution to creating a shared experience in something new each week.
Well. I’m back to loving this darn song again.


I’m sort of excited to see what might be recommended next week.
































































No comments:

Post a Comment