Friday, February 5, 2016

Fill your bucket: Monday and Tuesday Wonder Studio Class 2


"I think, moreover, that the funnel is a detestable object, and it is not much appreciated by children either. Its purpose is to narrow down what is big into what is small. This choking device is against nature. If you put it upside down, it serves no purpose. "
-Malaguzzi The Hundred Lanugages of Children, p. 63
The following blog could or could not be a total contradiction of the above quote.?
Here we go...

"Can you please take me off your email distribution list? My children are too old."

"Sure, but before I do, what ages are your children?"
"My children are 4, 5, 6, or 7."

"Sure, ok...Thank you, I will miss you."
There you have it, my least favorite email threads.

But, I wonder. I really do wonder...
When is a child too old?

I can sit here and spout pedagogy, use psychology terms, discuss social learning philosophies, teach you about the Elements of Art, and I will love it...
but...
really...if we boil it down...
The Wonder Studio is a place for play.
This morning, I was at a Fast Food Chain (don't ask!) and the play area had a sign that clearly indicated that older children were not welcome.
I felt extremely sad because my kids are now 8 and almost 5 years old.
While we don't frequent fast food chains too often, I know they still want to play.

Image result for chick fil a play area rules

Image result for must be under this height to play in play area
When does a child tire of play?

When does a child tire of painting a picture?

When is a child too old to pour water down a tube to fill a container?

When is a child too old to build?
My children still frequent every Saturday class I hold. 
I guess the day will come when they no longer want to accompany me.
But, at 8 years old...my daughter's urge to play has not waned.
As a matter of fact, I just scheduled a Vet appt. for this afternoon, taking place at Dr. Ava's bedroom (I mean office;) at 3:15.
At a recent Saturday class, I had a new student attending Wonder Studio for the first time. She was 7 years old.
She was having a wonderful time at The Water Table. Playing with the same materials as the 2 year olds. Playing alongside of 2 year olds.
She pumped all the water out of pump bucket and brought it to me and said, "Fill this up, please." (Manners and everything!)
"I wonder if  you might fill it up by yourself?"

Blank Stare.
After a few moments of the blank stare, I suggested she use the funnel.

"What's a funnel?" she asked me.
Heart stopping moment for me.

I was not expecting a child of this age to NOT be able to recognize a funnel. Thankfully (or maybe not), funnels are a material in abundance at Wonder Studio...so...
After showing her what the funnel was. She began to use the funnel as a scoop in an attempt to scoop up the water and pour into the larger pump container.
As you can imagine, she was not having much luck and my rug was getting drenched as water was quickly funneling out the bottom as quickly as she poured it in the top.

As this is a true story...I hope you can also see the metaphor here...

So often, we try and fill our children up with information. Many people see children as Sponges...soaking up all that we expose them to.
Unfortunately, I see the funnel metaphor quite often. Children from privileged families who are very serious about education and want the best for their children. We Pour in as much as we can...Piano lessons, reading tutors, math worksheets, soccer, etc...
But, can you see it taking hold? Or is it simply leaking out the bottom as quickly as we try and fill it?

We have children saying hello and goodbye in Mandarin...3 year olds reciting the alphabet.
But...
I want to ask you this...
Can they fill their bucket?
You have heard it before and you will hear it again.
Children must play.
And, so must YOU!
The other night, at a drawing class I attend at the Morean...I drew for 2 hours.
One picture...2 hours.


This is one of the ways I refill my "bucket."

I have never thought I was too old for play.

And, the older folks in the class don't seem to see themselves as too old either.
While I wondered if I should take a class with just other 37 year olds...I decided to go with the mixed age group and I have learned a lot from the 57 year olds. 

The Wonder Studio is a place for Play for children (and adults).

And, in the course of that, we might...I hope...we will learn how to fill our bucket.

I guess, it is a messy process. Maybe this 7 year old was on to something. Is the Funnel a tool? 
Or is the funnel a shortcut? 
Taking what should be a messy process and converting it into something sterile, neat, and tidy.






























































1 comment:

  1. I love this blog post. We all do indeed need to play and enjoy our experiences in life. Marlo loves your kind of play, Miss Shannon, and so do I. Last week you challenged us to learn something new about our children. Well, I learned that although my child is constantly a moving target, where art is concerned she is incredibly focused. I learned she can sit and color for almost an hour and happily so and we've repeated the process at home daily since. (No I still do not have pastels, but we do now also have chalk!) So thank you, Shannon. I'm learning my tornado of a toddler also has incredible focus.

    ReplyDelete