Saturday, February 8, 2014

BreezeLand: Winter and Spring session Week 2

Memory is key to learning.

So...it seems that making memories is necessary for the existence of learning.
Walt Disney is someONE (not someTHING) I have recently begun to think of quite often.

Mr. Disney was in the business of making memories.

I sometimes feel as though I might be a part of that same business.
 One of the questions and statements I receive most often is:  "Do you do Birthday Parties?  or You Should do birthday parties."



 I usually answer with:  My hope of Wonder Studio is not to provide you and your children with Entertainment but instead to Provoke you to live a life filled with wonder.


 I can't really be sure, but I believe Mr. Disney was similar in his hope.  

 However, I have been to Disney world and I left NOT inspired.  

Instead, I felt tired, overwhelmed, and anxious about overspending at the gift shops.
 At one point, I stood watching and listening to the people around me.  (Yes, I am a people watcher!!)

I heard many parents yelling, I saw kids crying, I saw people who looked miserable.
It left me confused about this place.
 Why?  Why were we all here?

 I knew the answer was: to make memories.

And...to take pictures.


 The problem was... this expectation of memory making seemed to make most parents quite miserable.

Kids don't really care about making memories.
 They are blessed to have the unique capability to live in the moment.
 Children are unburdened by the adult pressures of having to hold on to that moment.

They are actually very willing to let it go.
They are actually sometimes eager to move on.
They are actually usually demanding that we too let it go.
 They cry, they tantrum, they fall asleep!

The nerve!
 When, I think back to my best childhood memories...they are all of BreezeLand.

Even, writing that name brings a smile to my face.
 Now, before you start googling Breezeland and trying to buy tickets.
STOP!


 You can't go there.

It is no longer.
 Basically, it was a place where everyone in town went everyday during the summers in Ashland, Ky.
It had a pool, a playground, Tennis courts, shuffleboard, and a concession stand.
 I'm pretty sure my parents were there too.
But, I don't have too many memories of them there.
 There were NO expectations for me at this place.  Well, I guess there might have been one: have fun and don't get into trouble.


 We spent entire summers swimming, making up our own games and fantasies, exploring, running barefoot, getting stung by bees, and running barefoot again!
 We have some pictures but not too many.
 This was a place where pictures really couldn't capture the moment.
 I felt unburdened by any expectation from anyone to learn anything...however, I did learn.
Don't misunderstand me...I'm not advocating Lord of the Flies.

Well...maybe...just a teensy bit...
Are there times and certain places we can let our children just "Be"?

Can we let go of our expectations and our parental duties and just enjoy our children?
This remains my hope for Wonder Studio... to provide a place where children can feel inspired...
they can build memories to last a lifetime...
The "wonder" part will be so ingrained into their heart, it will travel with them wherever they go.
The next time I go to Disney World, I want to remember this...because I know it was Mr. Disney's hope too.

A place where there is no expectation for children except to have fun.
































































































No comments:

Post a Comment