Saturday, December 5, 2009

9 am Class: Charcoals, Clay, and Shadow Screen

Charcoals are one of the oldest art materials. The cavemen probably used them to draw and communicate on walls.
I find charcoals to be a very attractive artistic medium. I used them with my daughter and I could not keep myself from wanting to use them as well. I love that they are messy and smear easily! Little pressure is required from the child in order to make nice dark marks.

I know that I have remarked on this before, but I am constantly intrigued by the various approaches children have to art. Some children require time before delving into their endeavors. I can understand because I am very much a wait and watch type personality before I can move forward in a new endeavor. What would it be like if everyone went right for it immediately without hesitation? Isn't that the wonderful thing about our human race, we have some who can quickly invest themselves into things, while others remind us to slow down, observe, and take our time with new situations. Words like shy or quiet can sometimes be seen as negative in our culture. I like words like: thoughtful, patient, observant or on the other hand: adventurous, decisive, bold. I try to be careful and avoid labels (as I was told I was shy most of my childhood), I think we are all a little of all these characteristics at different times and in different situations. Being in a group with other children allows the opportunity to learn different characteristics from others. There's a saying something about "I am a part of all those who have touched my life".













These two girls were engaged in a serious (but fun) interaction involving careful observation of each other. H. had charcoal on her face and J. wanted to experience the same feeling.
These

The collaboration was culminated with a visit to the mirror, I tried to capture their first glimpse of themselves transformed by the charcoals!






















No comments:

Post a Comment