Thursday, February 6, 2020

Trust: Winter/Spring 2020 Session: Class 2



Trust:

Hello Wonder families. Amy here. Our word for the upcoming week is TRUST... It's a big one, right? A challenging one. Maybe that's just me. But I'm guessing some of you may struggle with it too. So I'd like to share some of my thoughts and feelings on this practice of trust. Because for me, that's truly what it is, a practice. A constant, daily, moment by moment practice.

#thewonderstudiotrust

When I first started thinking about how I would talk about this practice of trust I thought, well what is the opposite of trust? And for me, it is fear. Fear. Worry. Doubt. Resistance. All the really fun feels (insert eye roll and big sigh). I don't know about you guys, but these feelings skyrocketed when I became a parent. I had been living a life based on trust and dependence on a power greater than myself for many years before I became a parent. I was experienced and well versed in the practice of trust in something bigger than me... Sorry guys, I can't talk about trust without getting spiritual here. But bare with me. When I became a parent though, it felt like EVERYTHING concerning my child depended on ME. I was responsible for her well being, her health, whether she slept through the night, whether she didn't, if she ate well, if and when she met her developmental milestones, diaper rash... I mean seriously, the list is never ending. And if there were ANY problems, bumps in the road, or challenges? They were MY fault! Clearly! Hopefully I've given you a picture of what the opposite of trust looks like. Maybe you can relate.

So what trust looks like to me as a parent is a lot of different things. The biggest, being acceptance. Accepting that I am right where I am supposed to be. That my child is right where she is supposed to be. That I am the parent my child needs and that she is the teacher I need. It looks like letting go and turning it over to a power greater than myself. For myself, I call it God. But sometimes it's Nature. Sometimes it's Love. And sometimes it's the simple reality of what Is. Practicing trust is watching for the opposite of it. It's me trying to catch myself when my head starts to worry. When the fear creeps in. Me practicing trust looks like a lot of deep cleansing breathes and reminding myself that I'm not in control of everything. Me practicing trust is reminding myself that I am ok, my child is ok, and we are right where we're supposed to be both in our individual journeys and in our journey together... Don't get the wrong idea in thinking I do this easily or perfectly... Sometimes I really have to struggle and wear myself out before I exhaust myself, my family, and usually make a big ole mess before I'm willing to let go of the reins and turn it over to Trust. It's not always pretty. And that's ok.

SO... My homework for you this week is to try to begin a practice of watching for fear. You can call it doubt, worry, anxiety, resistance... WHEN you notice it, take a BIG, DEEP, CLEANSING breathe. Take a few! Say a quick prayer if you like. I spend most of my day in prayer. Some prayers or mantras I like are: God help me. Thy will not mine. I am right where I'm supposed to be. Everything is as it should be.

A podcast I'd love for you guys to hear is Unruffled by Janet Lansbury. Episode date 6/05/19. Title, Dear Parent: You are not failing.

A book I love and that is my #1 go to is also by Janet Lansbury titled, No Bad Kids toddler discipline without shame.

I hope you find some of this helpful! I'd love to hear feedback, your own stories about trust, or your thoughts on the homework or references!

#thewonderstudiotrust

With love,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment