Monday, September 20, 2021

Creating Spaces that Protect Creativity

 Creativity and Non-Judgement: Week 2 of Wonder Studio

I have a fierce protective instinct for a child's right to creativity. Actually, I have this instinct for adults too.
For so many years, I have heard adults come into Wonder Studio and say to me, "I don't have a creative bone in my body." "I am not creative." "I am not an artist." 


Sometimes, I am confused by this "story" that the "non-creatives" are telling me. Perhaps, our view of creativity is quite different. I believe that creativity has become an "achievement" that some people feel they either have or don't have. That unless they have an art piece in an art museum, they cannot say they have captured the prize of creativity.




For me, creativity is a value I hold. It's an essential part of my life along with part of who I am and like kindness or gratitude...it requires my commitment to it each day. 


What stops us from the practice of creativity?

I think Judgement is a big factor. I so often hear people's stories of creative trauma. Often, people joke about it..."I was kicked out of choir." "My sister is the artist in the family." 
"I'm just not good at art." 


I know many of these folks bring their children to Wonder Studio because they want something different for their little ones. They want their child to feel the freedom of creativity.
They desire children to have opportunities to "think outside the box."
Somehow, it's too late for me, but my child can have the access that I never did.



This is a big part of why I am teaching Adult Expressive Arts classes...I see the empowerment and confidence that comes with writing a poem, arranging nature, painting a mandala, shaping clay. Acts of creation change us, release us, allow us to reach into an inner well of strength and courage.


But, creativity can be extremely vulnerable and we forget that with our children (and with each other). For example, me writing these words and sending them out to you, is an act of creating that can have overwhelming effects of  2nd guessing myself and worry. But, I promise you, all it takes is one little Positive acknowledgement or knowing that I have impacted 1 person (positively) that keeps me motivated to keep going.


We can do that for our children (and our friends). All they need is a judgement free attitude from the ones around them...a nod, a smile, Eyes that say "Wow" I am here with you and I SEE you.


Acknowledgement...witnessing...this is how we protect creativity.
We don't always get it right, believe me! But we commit to trying each day.


Heading into week 3 of Wonder!
Check out this past blog on Judgement. 
An oldie but a goodie: Judgement Free Zone
Check our our FB page for Pics, and Articles, notifications of classes, etc..:
@TheWonderStudio

No comments:

Post a Comment