Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My Toddler Doesn't Like to Get Messy! 9am and 10:30 Wonder Arts


When I first began teaching Toddler classes, I really believed that all kids would love the opportunity to participate in Messy experiences.  However, I observed over and over again (and even at my home with my own little one) the opposite was often the case.  Toddlers are sometimes hesitant to get messy.

You can see the different approaches to paint here...(Above and Below)...A finger first...
Or My entire Arm!
Sometimes, just holding an instrument with messy paint on it, is enough...

Sometimes parents are shocked or heartbroken to find that their little one doesn't want to get messy.  AND...they ask, "Why do they keep wanting to wash their hands?"
A dab of paint, and then I must wash it off!

Over and Over and Over Again!!!!  

Sometimes the kids seem more interested in the Rinse buckets than the actual fun Messy experiences.

I like to put out 2 colors of paint (in the beginning) so that the children can begin to see the magic that happens when this is done.  Look at the picture above...The rinse buckets are one of the most obvious places that indicate this phenomenon.   

I love this picture (above)...a change is taking place...she is observing an amazing event...My hand is instantly transformed when I touch this sticky blue stuff.  Does the sticky blue stuff really leave a mark wherever it goes?  How can I find out if I can change my hand Back again?
Who of us hasn't been in a real mess and just wanted to know and understand that we can become clean again?
I say, "Let them wash!"  Let them see the magic that ensues from:  
"I am now different with blue hands....to... I am me again with clean hands."
At first, she is sure that she alone should practice this transformation.  But as you see below, a shared experience begins.  Not welcome at first, but accepted as she learns that he too wants to witness this miracle.
We can become clean again.  We can make a mess...either big or little...and our thinking will be transformed into understanding.
































































No comments:

Post a Comment